Job Title: Music Director
Reports To: Senior Pastor
Status: Full-time Position
PURPOSE AND SCOPE: The Music Director is responsible for the management, development, and promotion of the music program of the church. The Music Director will report directly to the Senior Pastor. The Music Director will also be accountable to and collaborate with the appointed Music Leadership Counsel (MLC).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, knowledge or abilities associated with this classification, but is intended to accurately reflect the primary job elements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides music for all worship services, funerals, church ministry outings and specialty services (i.e., Christmas, anniversary, Easter etc.).
- Collaborates with the choir director(s) when selecting specific songs, music choices, identifying musical assistance, selection of soloists, musical guests, and all other musical related functions.
- Determines in conjunction with the Chief Choir Director if choir rehearsals will be cancelled, postponed or increased and is responsible for communicating this decision to the Pastor, and appropriate others.
- Schedules, maintains, and facilitates consistent music related rehearsals.
- Provides individualized vocal/musical training and rehearsal to choir members and other staff who need development.
- Advises the MLC regarding the availability of musicians for choir engagements and helps to determine and select appropriate alternates when necessary.
- Reviews and communicates all music ministry invitations, engagements, activities and fellowships to the MLC before being submitted to the Pastor.
- Establishes praise teams and develops specialty choirs in an equitable and just manner and works with the MLC to develop a fair selection/rotation process.
- Prepares the choir in advance for special seasonal events, honorary days, engagements, concerts etc.
- Communicates with the presiding minister and Chief Director to determine the order and manner in which the choir will participate within worship services.
- Is directly involved in the selection of additional musical staff and works with the MLC regarding the evaluation of musical staff.
- Assists with the development of the musical evaluation rubric and utilizes it to promote success and growth among the musical staff.
- Submits a verbal/written report to the pastor and MLC regarding upcoming plans, new music, development of choirs, choir/praise teams, monthly singing schedule etc.
- Works closely with the media team regarding all audio and visual needs.
- Previews the selection and purchase of all needed music, instruments, and equipment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications listed above are representative of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required and may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
The ability to play a keyed musical instrument is required (piano/organ preferred). The ability to read music is not required but preferred.
COMPENSATION: Salary is based on qualifications/experience.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Physical Demands: Requires sedentary work involving standing or walking for brief periods, and some dexterity in operating office equipment; must be able to use hands and fingers for playing music.
Unavoidable Hazards: The position is exposed to no unusual environmental hazards.
Sensory (ADA) Requirements: The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE
The employer is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the organization to provide adequate accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with the Pastor.
Our institution does not discriminate in its programs or employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, handicap/disability, sex, genetics, or age.
If you are interested in this great opportunity, please send your resume to:
Dr. J.B. Blocker at firstname.lastname@example.org.